My daughter is driving me crazy. There I said it. When she isn’t being super amazing, she is being an absolute nightmare. I may have lost my temper completely last night and now have Mother’s remorse.
The problem is this: she just doesn’t listen. At all. She will do things and touch things that she knows she is not allowed to do. And once she knows she is in trouble her response is to run as fast as she can in any direction. I know that I work and I know that she wants my attention. But there are times when I just can’t give it to her. For example: when I am making supper in the kitchen and she wants me to push her on the swing outside……
Are you Moms going through something similar. Do you have a punishment that works? Corner has turned into a joke in our house. What are your methods? And lastly, how do the working Moms do it?
My beautiful, funny, loving daughter turned 4 recently and I have noticed a few changes. The main change being the temper tantrums and attitude that she has been giving.
Here are a few examples of what has been happening:
- She talks to you when she feels like it. And if you call her, chances are she will ignore you. (Unless you have chocolate)
- She thinks that if she is in trouble she will run and you will have to run after her and she will turn punishment into a game of cat and mouse. Until you catch her, then she will scream blue murder.
- She is cheeky and will pull her tongue out, while she is sitting in the corner taking her punishment.
- Last night things got so bad that I had to fetch Charlie (the wooden spoon). He is the last resort. And she got a smack with Charlie. She jumped up, locked herself in her Dad’s room and shouted ‘Nanananana you can’t get me” through the door. Then proceeded to tell me that she will open the door when I put Charlie back in the drawer. We had to cut the lights to get her to open the door and even then she was still not behaving.
- This morning she woke up in a fowl mood and so the fun and games continue…….
I have spoken to a few moms that have grown up kids (1 being my mom) and she reckons that this behavior is totally normal and that Jae is just testing her boundaries. Her boundary testing is probably going to lead to me being admitted to a mental institution or her having Charlie permanently attached to her bum. Apparently what is happening is that Jae has feelings that she doesn’t know how to cope with. Like anger, sadness, etc. The only way she knows how to deal with anger is to turn into the Incredible hulk mixed with the girl from Exorcism. So now, what I have to do, is get to her identify what she is feeling and help her through those feelings. I need to teach her to know when she is angry or sad and get her to vocalise what she is feeling. She needs to come to me and say ‘Mom, Im angry because blah blah blah. Which sounds a lot easier that it is.
Are there any moms on here that have already had to do this? What techniques did you use? What worked for you? I would love to hear back from you!